Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Was Wrong

To those people who know me: No, that title is not just a ploy to get you to read this and boost my blog's stats. (Though, I s'pose it worked). To those of you who don't get it: I'm "never" wrong. Thus, the title of this post would seem very ironic. 

But I'd like to be practical and honest right now. I'm only human, and I do make mistakes. Lots of them. My hope is not to remove all trace of mistakes in my life, but to have a collection of experiences from which I can grow and learn. And with each misstep I take, I want to be able to say "I learned from that, and this is how I've changed to make myself better". Here's to hoping. 


Just this evening, I had a lengthy conversation w/ V about life, work, and wedding-related things. There came a point where she asked me for input on something she's dealing w/. This happens all the time, and I appreciate the fact that V shares these parts of her life with me. I s'pose she'll "have" to do that when we're married, but I like that we're practicing for that now. It's good that she feels safe enough to ask for my opinion or input when she's confused or just wants a sounding board for her ideas. However, I'm prone to serious fits of chauvinistic stubborness; I can't help but sometimes think "That's really dumb. If I'd had a say, it'd've turned out way better." Overall, I'm pretty good at silencing that arrogant voice in my head, but not always. 


Suffice to say, that little voice said a few choice words which really hurt V. She responded in kind w/ some hurtful and frustrating things of her own - our words are powerful. We were quiet for a long time after that, but I wasn't worried. This time, I knew I was right. A lot of the time, my conversations w/ V end in some kind of [deserved] apology on my part. I'm a dude, and an insensitive one at that. I'm just thankful that I've the wherewithal to see my mistakes for what they are. But not this time. Oh no. I even thought to myself: 


"Aw yeah. Not this time, bro. No. This time, you got it. Hold your ground. You are not apologizing."


Seriously, I had this one. There was no way V had the philosophical high ground. She'd crossed a line, and I let her know it. She didn't even argue the point. What more of a flawless victory could I have?


The catch: My qualm w/ V and her spiteful backlash at me weren't on the same page. V lashed out at me in frustration. Me? I'd acted out b/c I felt that her situation was her problem and "dumb"; she'd gotten herself into this mess; she could get herself out. The situation worsened when we both got mad at each other, at which point I's just content to let her stew. But as I lay on my bed - stubborn silence stretching tenuously betwixt our phones - I remembered something I'd once said to V (and have since continued to tell her). 


In comforting V, I've always told her that I'd support her. But everybody says that, right? I meant those words as a life-partner would mean them: I'd always have her back. No matter what happened, no matter what problem she was dealing with - no matter how dumb I thought it was - I would be there to help her through it. It didn't mean I'd say she was always right; that's not helpful. But I would be there to talk w/ her, comfort her, and let her feel safe when she felt that nothing or no one else could. That was my promise to her. 

There's a saying I heard a while ago. It goes "Be careful what words you say. If you forget them they may return to you in different clothes and you will have to buy them." While it made sense to me when I'd first heard it, this was the first time I'd really experienced it firsthand. 

This was exactly the situation I'd vowed to guard her against. Instead of coming alongside her, I was standing on "the other side" criticizing her situation and washing my hands of it. Why? B/c I thought it was dumb and thus I didn't have to involve myself. After all, I didn't do this. If only she were more like me, she wouldn't be in this mess. Why was she so worked up, anyhow? It's not like these people were so important that they warranted such attention. She hardly sees them; why can't she just let them go? I wouldn't be so bent out of shape over this. 


I wasn't prepared for these pitfalls. Never before had my desire to be right, combined w/ frustration and arrogance, built so solid a wall of hostility as a wedge between us. 
Criticizing her put distance between me and what I felt was a bad situation. It felt like helping her would be endorsing bad behavior. Really, I just wasn't looking at things the right way.

As it turns out, I was Johnny-On-The-Spot: V hadn't figured out what bothered her so much about this situation. I had to apologize to her and explain the mistake I'd made. I confessed that I'd done exactly what I'd promised I wouldn't, and we both realized that's what upset her so much. 


I'm not sure what the take-away is for this. Obviously, I'm fallible. But more than that, I've come to a better understanding of what loving Veronica really means. There's a level of self-sacrifice to giving up my own opinions for her sake; putting her needs - to feel safe from personal attack - above my desire to highlight her mistake. That's what a relationship w/ someone means. (I speak here of a romantic relationship, but I believe close, platonic ones could stand to try this too). 


That's
 what I want for me and V. 

8 comments:

  1. You confuse me Jason. You managed to work "tenuously betwixt" into there, yet it is littered with "b/c" and "w/".

    Reading that slang always makes me cringe.

    Much Love.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. How V feels and what she thinks should NEVER be thought of as stupid. EVER. You are very critical and judgmental. If your first thought towards the one you love is "she got herself into this and it's stupid" then you are not supporting her even if you do keep your mouth shut.

    I'm not impressed by your apology at all. You need God to change your heart so that you don't immediately jump to criticism when the one you love makes a mistake. There will come a time when you will make some bad decisions and will need someone to sit with you, listen and help you deal with the consequences, all done without criticism on their lips or, more importantly, in their heart. It's your attitude that needs work. Not your lips. When your heart changes, the overflow from your lips will change.

    That's what Jesus does for us. He never is critical or condemning. He deals with us gently, lovingly. He never looks at us as being dumb and He never thinks thoughts like "he got himself into this and it's pretty stupid".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this one event should be used to pass judgement on his entire character. He's a great guy. I am so impressed by his apology, because without it, we'd still be unhappy and fighting. He did have a change of heart last night. He apologized. God saved us that fight last night and I am overwhelmingly grateful.

      To be critical and judgmental is to be human. Even I am that way sometimes. Still, we stick it out together because of our love for each other. God blessed us with spades of grace so that when one falls/falters, the other can be there, patient, forgiving, and gracious, to help the other up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

      Delete
    2. It's incredibly irrelevant how impressed you are by his apology, and if I were him, I'd be offended that you have an opinion on the matter. In Christ's relationship with us, he has every right to say "No! You're wrong!" in whatever way is required, even if it hurts our feelings, because he's the head of us and leads us, as a man leads his wife. There is no difference in this relationship.

      If Jason cares about leading V in this relationship, he should absolutely be willing to make judgements about her thoughts and actions, but approach her with love. This is a growing experience for both of them. Firstly, for Jason to learn that he should always make sure V knows he's acting in love and he's not malicious and just trying to win the argument. Secondly, for V to accept that Jason just wants what's best for her and is taking his rightful place as the head of this relationship. She must be willing to accept his leadership even if she doesn't agree at that time.

      It's good that Jason cares enough to admit he said hurtful things, and his number one goal should be to let her know that he will lead her through every mess she gets herself into. It seems like in this situation he was a little more interested in letting her know she made a mistake (that she already knew she had), rather than support her through it, and that's the growing experience here.

      Jason, it's good that you didn't let the sun go down on your anger, and you talked it out and resolved the issue. Keep growing together, you two :)

      Delete
  3. I love you. I'm thankful to God that he gave you the ability, and words, to help me last night. I always want to be on the same team as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason, Will you please forgive me for being critical of you in the post I made earlier... I was wrong. Very wrong and very arrogant to pass judgement on you. I don't know what got into me. I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sweat it, Anon. All's forgive. Not like I've never been judgmental before ; )

      Delete